The best way to prepare for a move is by starting early – there’s a lot to get done, and those who wait until the last minute deal with a lot of unnecessary stress. Fortunately, some aspects are less urgent than others, so with some smart planning you can take care of the big-ticket items first and save minor tasks for later.
We recommend starting to think about your move as much as two months in advance. With that in mind, here is the only moving checklist you’ll ever need:
7-8 Weeks Before Moving
- Take an inventory of your stuff, and give some serious thought as to what you want to bring along – now’s a great time to donate or sell unneeded items.
- Begin seeking out physicians/dentists/other providers in your new city, and arrange for transfers of yours, and your family’s, medical records.
- If you have children, arrange for their school to transfer their academic records to the new school district.
4-6 Weeks Before Moving
- Find a quality mover, and arrange the details of your moving date.
- Start to gather packing materials, now that you’ve got a sense of what you’ll be taking with you.
- Begin packing rarely used items, or anything else you don’t expect to need in the coming few weeks.
2-3 Weeks Before Moving
- Finish up existing errands and clear out anything you may have stored – in your gym locker, bank box, etc.
- Update banks, credit card companies, magazines, etc. with your new address. Don’t forget to fill out a Change of Address form at your local post office, to ensure any straggling mail is forwarded properly!
- Schedule time for goodbyes – families in particular will want to give kids a chance to say farewell to friends and places.
Your Last Week Before Moving
- Finish packing – and don’t forget to set aside a few items of clothing in a separate bag, so you’ll have something to wear before you unpack at your new home.
- Collect any prescriptions or other lingering items of importance
- Re-confirm the arrival time and other details with your movers.
If you’re seeking a reputable moving company in the Atlanta area, contact Atlanta Peach Movers today.